Saturday, November 20, 2004

The DeLay Rule

It's been a while since my last post. I have some pretty stock replies from Congressman Herger I need to scan. But the news right now is who supported the DeLay Rule. I called the Chico and DC office, only to get no answer from Herger's staff. He is listed as being willing to give written answers to constituents. So here it goes.

Let me first say that even though we rarely agree on policy, I respect your public service. You represent me in the House, and I think you should know what I think about certain topics. Congressman DeLay is one of those topics. The rules that were just over-turned to allow Congressman DeLay to stay in power even if he is indicted were put in place during the Clinton administration to take out Democratic leadership. Which, is fine really. If there is corruption in Washington, by all means it should be stamped out.

But to have one set of rules when the Democrats are in power and another set of rules when the GOP is in power is just not right. I would also like to state the three admonishments from the Ethics Committee do not constitute being cleared of the charges.

Which is why I must ask you if you supported the "DeLay Rule." I called both your Chico office and your DC office and your staff did not know your position. I understand that this was a voice vote, but you were acting as my representative when you made that vote. I deserve to know in the name of accountable government.

If you did support it, did you support the original rule to remove people from power when they were indicted? If you did, could you please explain to me how this is not gross hypocrisy, an attempt to seal the GOP in power and move towards a one party system?

I can't wait to hear back...

No comments: