Sunday, January 08, 2006

Wally Beyond Reason

Herger defends eavesdropping program:

"'I am very alarmed with what I see might happen in the interest of people’s supposed rights,' he said. 'I don’t think a suspected terrorist has rights. As long as a terrorist is contacting someone else and they have a possibility of killing my family . . . or one of the constituents I represent or blowing them up, I want a president who will have the courage go do what he needs to do.'"

Holy. Cow. I don't even know where such logic comes from.

Wally then uses just about every talking point cooked up thus far, I guess in hoping that a shotgun approach will work. Democrats voted for military action, ergo they voted for the NSA spy program. Also the people who leaked the story about the program need to be prosecuted even though he didn't answer Atrios' question:

Can anyone - anywhere - explain, just a little bit - just one time - how "national security has been damaged" by revelations that the Administration was eavesdropping without FISA-required warrants and judicial oversight rather than with them?

It's hard to believe Wally is a conservative Republican. I think he is just being loyal to the party and not his principles because this is not the GOP I remember hearing about. When a representative in Congress thinks that he gets to decide who does and doesn't have rights under the Constitution we have a serious problem. Who does he think he is? The president?

No comments: